Responsive Frankfort Family Lawyers Deliver Sound Counsel
Dedicated Kentucky attorneys handle divorce and custody proceedings
Ending a marriage, going through a child support dispute or supporting a son or daughter through legal trouble can trigger strong emotions and make you feel like you’re fighting these challenges on your own. At Johnson Bowman Branco, LLP in Frankfort, our family law attorneys are knowledgeable, zealous advocates serving clients throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Our personalized approach to legal representation and client service means that you’ll receive advice that is tailored to your values and needs. We use our 65 combined years of experience to help people understand the applicable laws and the potential consequences associated with key decisions.
Skilled advocates advise on adoption, child support and other issues
Whether you’re eagerly anticipating an adoption or dealing with the frustration of divorce, strong family law counsel will help you assert your rights and manage the change in your life. We stand with you every step of the way and provide assistance that makes a positive difference for you and your loved ones. Our firm handles a variety of family law concerns, including:
- Adoption — Adopting a child should be one of the happiest moments of your family’s life. However, an unexpected problem, such as an immigration difficulty or a biological parent’s change of heart, could turn the situation into a nightmare. We assert the rights of prospective parents during possible disputes during the adoption process. We also help ease any confusion that may exist for your family in any type of adoption, including foster-parent and step-parent adoptions, amount others.
- Alimony — Known as “maintenance” under Kentucky law, alimony payments can be granted to spouses who cannot support themselves financially after a divorce. When one party’s earning ability is reduced because of age, disability, responsibility for a special needs child or many years out of the workforce, we help them pursue appropriate spousal support so they can continue to live as they did during the marriage.
- Child custody and visitation — Our family law attorneys are committed to seeing that children live in a fit and healthy environment after their parents divorce. Kentucky law presumes that parents will maintain joint custody, but this does not necessarily mean that a child will live for equal amounts of time in each home. When the presumption of joint custody may be inappropriate in a particular case, we will help strongly advocate for what is in the best interests of your child. We work to draft fair, clear visitation terms whenever possible and conduct a detailed review to find a resolution that is in the child’s best interests.
- Child support — Child support payments do not change unless the court modifies the child support order. If either you or the other parent experiences a significant change in circumstances, our attorneys can guide you through the proper legal procedures to modify your child support payments accordingly.
- Divorce — Through mediation or litigation, our divorce law firm fights for your rights to get the best possible settlement or judgment, including your fair share of assets, division of the marital home, child support payments and child custody rights. Our firm has experience with all aspects of property division, including the drafting of Qualified Domestic Relations Orders, the valuation and division of business assets, and the application and division of military benefits. We can help you appeal custody and property rights decisions as well.
- Juvenile dependency, neglect and abuse — When Kentucky authorities interfere with your parental rights, you need a zealous advocate who understands how to cut the bureaucratic red tape. We are skilled at maneuvering through the complex laws of Kentucky to protect parental rights.
- Mediation — Mediation puts the decisions in your hands and can often provide more expedient, predictable results than a trial. Our skilled negotiators can help you obtain the best possible settlement in your family law matter.
- Paternity — In cases where a child’s paternity is in question or when support payments are sought following a judgment, our lawyers will explain each side’s legal rights and obligations.
- Pre- and postnuptial agreements — Love can blind you to the potential for financial loss if the marriage fails or if you are marrying later in life and trying to protect your assets for other family members upon your death. By working closely with clients, we help them prepare for the unexpected and draft agreements that protect both spouses’ interests.
Depending on the particular issue and details, a family law matter could be resolved quickly or linger for years. We’ll deliver comprehensive legal support from start to finish whether your case is just starting or you’re looking to modify an existing order or you are looking to appeal a recent decision of the court.
Contact an accomplished Frankfort family law attorney for a consultation
Johnson Bowman Branco, LLP in Frankfort advises Kentucky clients about a full range of family law concerns, including divorces, custody matters and child support proceedings. Please call 502-605-6100 or contact us online to make an appointment for a meeting at our office.